Skip to main content

Feature Cuts: Woe Are They To Any Project

Last week I touched on creating more project structure for Eclipse Perilous, and that I had started to use HacknPlan. It's a web-based project management application that markets itself as streamlined for game developers. For the most part, it looks like any other project management app out there, give or take a handful of features.

What does differentiate HacknPlan from the rest is the fact that you can have your game design document in the project itself. This is pretty damn handy. I have been using XMind to create the design doc, which has been a serious blessing in regards to organization.

The downside to seeing everything associated with a chunk of time is the realization that cuts absolutely have to be made. There's just too much in there as it is, and releasing a fully-realized game isn't in the realm of possible.

For example, I have three main Ability Trees planned for the base game: Corruption, Engineering, and Psionics. However, simply looking at how much work needs to be done reveals that one of these skill trees has to be cut for the base. I think Psionics is the one that needs to be cut.

It wouldn't just eliminate the Tree; it would be Psionic enemies, equipment, traps, and so on. In the end, delaying Psionics is for the best. Doing so puts a nice big dent in the project; all that's left is to figure out what else can be delayed.

This also fits quite nicely with the planned monetization method of releasing the game in paid chapters. This allows them to be packed with more content, which gives them more value. At the same time, it alleviates feature creep for the initial release.

Meaning getting a working game on the appstore in months instead of years is a real possibility.

Fingers crossed.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Resolutions Schmesolutions

When I was in high school, I had a somewhat chaotic approach to cleaning. It began when I got frustrated by a cluttered desk, and dumped everything on the floor. I put back only the things I absolutely needed, shelved a few other things, and threw away everything else. This turned into a cleaning ritual where everything was classified as "keep", "store", or "discard". The goal was to discard as much as possible while treasuring only the things I truly wanted to keep.

Over time, that habit of mine evolved into something different. It became the cornerstone of my minimalist lifestyle. I learned to judge who and what I needed to treasure, and who and what I needed to discard. But it wasn't only about surroundings - it was also about self. I always found the idea of a classical hermit living on a mountain somewhat appealing, and I made many decisions to reach a reasonable interpretation of that. The path was much rockier than anticipated.

Anyway, at the b…

Coding schmoding: Populating Levels

Apologies for not updating last week. I ran into a number of problems while trying to put items in levels. It certainly sounded simple enough, right? If there's room for something to spawn, then spawn it. Boom, done.

Of course it's more problematic than it first seemed. Long story short, last week I spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out why functions I wrote weren't spawning anything at all. I don't recall all of the problems, but it was just one thing after another. You should have seen my browser tab - it was filled with Unity reference pages.

In any case, I decided to pick it back up this week, and finally got some progress forward.

Lots of learning and coding these past couple of weeks. Been trying to randomly spawn objects in the game world. Took longer than I wanted, and it's still wonky. Making progress, though. My sanity thanks liquor and pot. Read the Devblog in bio. #gamedev #gamedesign #indiegame #indiedev #solodev #indiestudio #prototyping #bsp…

Sorry for being MIA

Soooo there has been an inordinately long pause since the last update. Many things have taken my attention away: my day job, bills, projects, family, women. You know, everyday stuff.

As a result of all those other things taking my time, development on Eclipse Perilous has been nonexistent. But as I've been handling the other stuff, ideas surrounding the game have been percolating in the back of my mind. I've come to realize that much of what I'm doing now is off, and that my approach needs to be adjusted.

First and perhaps most important is that I don't have proper project management set up. Though I have time blocked off in my calendar, it simply isn't enough to keep me on track. Not having the project mapped out allows other things to steal time from it. In an effort to combat this, I'm setting up AsanaHacknPlan. I hope that better project structure will lead to a more productive schedule.

The art process is also flawed - I've been using a tablet and styl…