Skip to main content

Sorry for being MIA

Soooo there has been an inordinately long pause since the last update. Many things have taken my attention away: my day job, bills, projects, family, women. You know, everyday stuff.

As a result of all those other things taking my time, development on Eclipse Perilous has been nonexistent. But as I've been handling the other stuff, ideas surrounding the game have been percolating in the back of my mind. I've come to realize that much of what I'm doing now is off, and that my approach needs to be adjusted.

First and perhaps most important is that I don't have proper project management set up. Though I have time blocked off in my calendar, it simply isn't enough to keep me on track. Not having the project mapped out allows other things to steal time from it. In an effort to combat this, I'm setting up Asana HacknPlan. I hope that better project structure will lead to a more productive schedule.

The art process is also flawed - I've been using a tablet and stylus to create concept art, but I don't actually enjoy drawing on it. Don't get me wrong - I love the concept of putting pieces together using digital tools. The process from start to finish is inherently streamlined. And also cool.

However, technological mimicry of artistic tools gets close to the real thing, but doesn't ever get there. Regardless of how many levels of pressure sensitivity your setup has, plastic on polished glass doesn't feel the same as graphite on toothy paper. I've broken open a new pad of paper and started making a few small sketches in an attempt to give the airship some realism. Nothing fancy; in fact the sketches are quite sloppy.

I need to be more diligent in keeping the lead sharp.

One thing I am keen to implement is a semi-randomized, branching questline system that results in multiple endings. Some paths and endings will open up after certain paths and endings are accomplished. This might be a bit more than I can handle, but I feel this is something I need to tackle. Roguelikes are, in essence, single-player tabletop roleplaying games with an automated, randomized game master. Meanwhile, cRPGs are ripe with branching questlines and also mimic playing in a ttrpg.

There must be a good way to marry that questline system into a roguelike. Stay tuned for updates on this...

I've also been thinking a little (a lot) about monetization. For example, I've been wondering if the game can be split into chapters. Say, five of them. The first one is free, while the rest will cost some fixed amount. Something like $1 to 3 USD. Each chapter would contain the continuation of the main questline, added randomized one-shot quests, expanded enemies, more decks to explore, more lore to collect, new schematics & equipment, and so on.

Sounds like this is going to be a crapton of work... Fun!


Popular posts from this blog

A Bit Overdue


Sorry about that. I really meant to post last weekend, but, you know, things.

I've been contemplating which of the three I want to start writing out first, because no way would I be able to write them all simultaneously. Which would actually be amazing in terms of laying down themes on a parallel basis. It sounds fun...

But also insane.

I'm not up to the challenge. Not yet anyway.

Anyway, I figured I'd start with the middle one - O.N.I. No, it's not about my name; that's just happy coincidence. It refers to the Oni - devils from Japanese folklore. I've been envisioning that company as having made a proverbial deal with the devil to be able to travel across dimensions. Which of course we'll get to later. For now, I want to chat about the opening.

From a technical standpoint, I'm thinking of opening each of them in a similar way and trying to give an incredibly crucial first choice that also foreshadows the fate of the whole journey. Which hasn'…

Happy Belated New Year Yadda Yadda Yadda

The holidays have come and gone, finally. Was super busy just getting things in order, so I wasn't able to do much for Fractal. But I was thinking about its structure, and I put some of the bones  for the intro down. Also, I discovered Inform 7 halfway through December, so I had to check that out for a bit.

ONI Intro. Alright, so I got a bit of time to work on this. Just a couple hours, so there isn't a lot. And there's probably a ton of typos and errors and whatnot. Foreshadowing on every page, so keep an eye out for stuff changing in the big picture perspective. Definitely message me if you find errors so I can correct 'em. Thanks in advance!

Note to self: pencil in an hour a day for Fractal on the calendar.

But yeah, I wanted to keep this intro much more personal, and a lot less active than Dawn of Aquilas' intro. I don't want the pacing to be constrained by a physically intense opening, and would rather build to it. And besides, opening with the heart is a b…

First post?

Alright. So just got this thing set up, figured I'd type some stuff in here to make it not quite so empty. I haven't had a blog in a while, and I used to spend a couple of hours building each post: figuring out its theme and topics, structuring it, doing a whole mess of editing, and so on and so forth. It was time-consuming to say in the least, and it got tiring quite quickly.

This go-around I think I'll just throw spaghetti at the wall, not caring if anything sticks. Not that I don't enjoy making good posts, just that I'd rather concentrate on actually writing IF stories rather than "proper" blog content.

So expect a crapton of grammatical errors and typos.

Aaaaanyway... So this IF series actually was born because of my defunct actual-play podcast called Penumbra Extinction. I was writing three IF novels to supplement Penumbra, with each one providing some backstory to each of the three main dimensions my players were going to visit.

You can even read my…