Skip to main content

Preliminary Notes Part One

Hello to no-one in particular. Marketing plan hasn't kicked in yet - probably won't be until Summer-ish. Just posting anyway to maintain diligence. Not that there's much to talk about as I'm just doing research. However, as I go through the RogueSharp code and tutorial, I find myself making mental notes here and there as to what kinds of things I need to change. I figured that I should jot those notes down into a post or two instead. Two birds with one stone, and all that jazz.

  • Set tilesize to 32x32. 
    • I had set it to 64x64 in my first experiment, and it was just too large. 32 is meaty enough for any thumb or finger and has enough detail for the thin character design I want to use.
  • Explore possibility of passageways > hallways
    • This is necessary to give a cramped, trapped-on-a-boat type of horror, but with enough room for tactical choices. Better yet, no passageways or hallways, and just lots of little rooms inside of a 'big room'. That would make things easier to manage, code-wise. I can say spawn X amount of 'things' (including little rooms, barricades, containers, and roaming npcs) in 'big rooms', and then Y amount of 'stuff'  (including containers, friendly or hostile npcs, detritus, and portals) in 'little rooms'.
  • Stretch lighting/shadows code to the max
    • I'd ultimately like for this roguelike's gameplay to be equal parts hiding, escaping, and fighting. And that requires a great deal of emphasis on light and shadow.
  • Make room for swappable & custom tilesets
    • At the very least, there should be the classic roguelike ascii look, and then the intended steampunk tileset. While I don't plan on creating more than that, it might be worth it to leave the door open for the community. 
  • Encode modularity
    • EP is supposed to come with the first chapter free, but with roughly four more chapters planned afterwards. I need to ensure that the underlying code accepts this kind of modularity. It won't do any good if they can't be applied in an additive way.
More soon; stay tuned.


Popular posts from this blog

Resolutions Schmesolutions

When I was in high school, I had a somewhat chaotic approach to cleaning. It began when I got frustrated by a cluttered desk, and dumped everything on the floor. I put back only the things I absolutely needed, shelved a few other things, and threw away everything else. This turned into a cleaning ritual where everything was classified as "keep", "store", or "discard". The goal was to discard as much as possible while treasuring only the things I truly wanted to keep.

Over time, that habit of mine evolved into something different. It became the cornerstone of my minimalist lifestyle. I learned to judge who and what I needed to treasure, and who and what I needed to discard. But it wasn't only about surroundings - it was also about self. I always found the idea of a classical hermit living on a mountain somewhat appealing, and I made many decisions to reach a reasonable interpretation of that. The path was much rockier than anticipated.

Anyway, at the b…

Coding schmoding: Populating Levels

Apologies for not updating last week. I ran into a number of problems while trying to put items in levels. It certainly sounded simple enough, right? If there's room for something to spawn, then spawn it. Boom, done.

Of course it's more problematic than it first seemed. Long story short, last week I spent a good chunk of time trying to figure out why functions I wrote weren't spawning anything at all. I don't recall all of the problems, but it was just one thing after another. You should have seen my browser tab - it was filled with Unity reference pages.

In any case, I decided to pick it back up this week, and finally got some progress forward.

Lots of learning and coding these past couple of weeks. Been trying to randomly spawn objects in the game world. Took longer than I wanted, and it's still wonky. Making progress, though. My sanity thanks liquor and pot. Read the Devblog in bio. #gamedev #gamedesign #indiegame #indiedev #solodev #indiestudio #prototyping #bsp…

Elemental Pests: The Æther Gremlin

Dusk creatures are not the only enemies the player will encounter. As with any ship or boat, it has its own type of pests such as bugs, birds, and rats. In Eclipse Perilous, the airships of the Sky Nation of Albion is beset with pests, albeit the Elemental kind.

Here is one such pest: the Æther Gremlin.

Not every enemy is made of Dusk. This one is an Æther Gremlin. It can merge with other gremlins, eat your metallic weapons and armor, and fights as part of a swarm. I need to make this particular Gremlin 'fatter'. It seems a tad thin... Devblog in bio. #gameart #pixelart #pixel #survivalhorror #roguelike #gamedev #unity #unity3d #indiedev #indiestudio #indiegame #gamedesign #eclipseperilousA post shared by Inigo (@ceritusorbis) on Jul 30, 2018 at 6:08pm PDT

Elemental Traits
Resilient. Elementals are typically moderately resistant to all forms of damage. This includes physical, psionic, and other elemental damage types.

Swarm. Individually, each Elemental poses little threat - they…